Terms and conditions
Please read these terms and conditions carefully. By accessing this website you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions below. These terms and conditions are subject to change without notice, from time to time in our sole discretion. We will notify you of amendments to these terms and conditions by posting them to the website. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, please do not access this website.
• Copyright and permissions
• Requesting an image and our charges
• The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
• Use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
• Any published content external to this site is subject to its own specific terms and conditions.
Copyright and permissions
The Geological Society Library houses a rich collection of historical maps, archive material and rare books. Many of its images are unique or rare and are of interest to Fellows, researchers and the media.
• Search the archive catalogue for the Geological Society’s Archive Collection including the Dan McKenzie papers.
• Search the Library catalogue for books, journals and maps.
Library staff provide an enquiry service and will answer general reference questions about the Society’s Archive and Special Collections. Enquiries involving extensive research will be treated as a literature search request or require payment of a visitor’s fee. For more information about our services, please visit our website.
Supply of the Library’s images
• The Library normally charges for use of its images in publications, broadcast, websites or exhibitions, however this will vary depending on its use. For instance, for non-profit, small print runs the fee is likely to be modest and in some circumstances may be waived entirely. For a quote, please contact the Library giving as much information as possible about the image’s intended use.
• Permissions to publish, exhibit or broadcast must be requested and granted in writing.
• Charges will vary and be dependent on use, duration of use, media and location.
• The Library reserves the right to refuse permission.
• Reproduction costs may be charged as well as permission fees.
• Additional use or re-use requires prior written agreement from the Library.
• The Library requires a free copy of any publication that arises from the use of material from its Special Collections and Archives.
• Any display of the Library’s material must be acknowledged with ‘Reproduced by permission of the Geological Society of London’
Images required for GSL publications, news media requests and education projects will be supplied free of charge and credited with ‘Reproduced courtesy of the Geological Society of London’.